Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Bacon Fried Rice - everything tastes better with bacon.

I had a lot of leftover rice in my refrigerator from a dinner we had over the weekend. So for dinner tonight I decided to do what I always do with leftover rice, make fried rice. I often  fall back on this recipe because it is quick and tasty. If I can get dinner on the table in under thirty minutes I am a happy person.

Bacon Fried Rice
Dinner time




4 cups of cooked rice (white or brown)
8 strips of bacon
2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely sliced
2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
One 10 oz package of frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
5 large eggs, lightly beaten and seasoned with salt and pepper
2 teaspoons sesame oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

In a large saucepan cook the bacon over medium heat until crisp. Drain on a paper towel lined plate, chop into 1 inch pieces when cool enough to handle. (I use kitchen shears to cut my bacon)
Wipe the bacon grease out of your skillet. Return the skillet to the stove and keep your flame on medium heat. Add the vegetable oil and the onion and cook the onion until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Add the garlic and cooked rice and stir. Add the mixed vegetables and soy sauce and stir again. Make a hole in the middle of the rice and add the eggs. Let the eggs set for 1 to 2 minutes, then mix them with a fork and cook for 2 more minutes. Stir the eggs into the rice, breaking them up into small pieces. Take the saucepan off the stove, add the sesame oil and bacon and stir.
Serves 4-6 depending on how hungry everyone is.

Does anything look better than frying bacon?
Right after the eggs were added.
While the rice is cooking. 

Another plus about this recipe is that there are hardly any dishes to wash. Since my husband washes the dishes whenever I cook he likes to keep the mess to a minimum. I still have rice leftover even after making this recipe so tomorrow night we will be having rice pudding for dessert. Yum.

Till Tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment