Monday, January 31, 2011

Pulled Pork Sandwiches - slowcooker recipe

The bigger my kids get the busier our evenings seem to be. I am trying to find more slow cooker recipes I can make when I know I will have a hectic day. I have been relying more and more on frozen Trader Joe meals for our busy nights but feel guilty about all the sodium and fat in those meals. I made these sandwiches tonight and was very happy with how much meal we got out of an affordable piece of meat. I like the amount of vegetables in this recipe, even my picky eater ate most of them.

Pulled Pork Sandwiches

2 1/2 pounds pork shoulder
1 cup peeled and shredded carrot (1 large carrot)
1 large red bell pepper, diced
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
1 cup water or beer (I used Corona)
1 (12 ounce) jar bbq sauce (the final taste of the meat really depends on the quality of the bbq sauce so try to buy a good brand)
8 whole wheat hamburger buns, toasted

Add the pork, carrot, bell pepper, onion, water or beer, and half the bbq sauce to a 5 or 6 quart slow cooker and stir to combine. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours.

After 4 hours on high, drain about 3/4 of the liquid. Take out the pork, chop the meat coarsely and discard the excess fat. Put the pork back in the slow cooker and add the other half bottle of bbq sauce to the pot. Cover and cook on high for 4 more hours.

When the meat is done, remove from the slow cooker and place on a cutting board. Use two forks to pull the meat into shredded pieces. Put the meat back into the slow cooker, divide the pork mixture evenly between the hamburger buns and serve.
In the pot and ready to cook
Thinly sliced onions
Diced red bell pepper
Shredded carrot
Pork Shoulder

This recipe fit my criteria of being quick to assemble, easy on the pocket book and tasty.  It is a keeper for our family.

Till tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment