Friday, January 21, 2011

Ants in my Applesauce

My wonderful husband made dinner tonight and I got to go out with my sister-in-law. (yeah!) I had promised my daughter we would cook together this week, so today was the day. We had a lot of apples so I thought it would be fun to make applesauce. I hadn't made applesauce in years and forgot how easy and delicious it is to make.

Applesauce

9 apples (any variety you want, I used Gala)
1 cup water or apple juice
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2-1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup raisins

Wash, peel and core the apples. Cut them into 1 inch chunks. Put the apples, water or apple juice, brown sugar and cinnamon into a large saucepan. Bring to a boil then turn down the heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove the pot from the heat and let the mixture cool for 10 minutes. Mash the apples with a potato masher if you like chunky applesauce. Put the apples in a food processor or blender for 30 seconds to a minute for a creamier consistency. Mix in the raisins and serve.

Makes 4 big servings








The reason I called this recipe ants in my applesauce is because when my daughter saw the finished applesauce she said the raisins reminded her of ants. It is so easy to tell my daughter, "no" when she asks to cook with me. I can get a lot more done a lot quicker by myself. When I slow down and let her take the lead we end up having a lot of fun together. I hope she and I can do this a lot more often.

Till tomorrow...

2 comments: