Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Pita Wedges with Roasted Feta and Thyme Honey

Dinner tonight was.............
drumroll please................................
leftovers.
Yeah!
I had to work late tonight so my family had to make do with leftovers. I thought I would write about a recipe I made for lunch yesterday, Pita Wedges with Roasted Feta and Thyme Honey. I got this recipe a few days ago from a class my son attended entitled Food of the Gods. It was a great class, the kids learned a lot about ancient Greek and Roman mythology. The class ended with the kids making a 4 course meal that was inspired by the ancient Greeks.
At first I was skeptical of this dish because feta is not my favorite cheese. Once I tried this appetizer I had to restrain myself from going back for thirds. (I had to save a little for the children)
I hope you enjoy this dish as much as I did.

Pita Wedges with Roasted Feta and Thyme Honey

one 8 ounce slab Greek feta, blotted dry
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon honey
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
freshly ground black pepper
whole wheat pita bread, cut into wedges
3 tomatoes, sliced (optional)

1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2. Place the feta in an ovenproof pan then drizzle the olive oil over the cheese. Bake until the cheese is soft but not melted, about 7 minutes.
3. Heat the honey and thyme in the microwave until it is liquid, about 10-15 seconds.
4. Using a pastry brush apply the honey to the surface of the feta. Place the cheese under the broiler until the top of the cheese is brown.
5. Season the feta with pepper and serve with the pita wedges and tomatoes

I am really excited to serve this appetizer at our next family party. I need more people to share it with since I ate around half of it myself for lunch yesterday. It was worth every minute of the stomach ache I had afterword.
Till tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment