Thursday, January 27, 2011

Foil Packet Chicken To Go

Over the past few weeks I have been looking for recipes that are easy to transport. I have been making a lot of dinners lately for families that either have ill family members or have just had a new baby. I have two or three recipes that I always make for others but I would like to find more.  I looked for recipes online and combined a few that sounded the best. I thought I should test the resulting recipe on my family before sharing it with others. We enjoyed it and I feel confident others will as well.

Foil Packet Chicken To Go

1 1/2 cups raw rice (white or brown, whatever your family prefers)
12 teaspoons butter
6 teaspoons dehydrated onion soup mix
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
Freshly ground black pepper
Salt
8 teaspoons lowfat milk
Paprika

Start by partially cooking the rice. The way you do that is to cook the rice with half the water called for on the package. I have a rice cooker so I put 1 1/2 cups of white rice and 1 cup of water in, then cooked as usual.

Split the cooked rice into four portions. Get a sheet of heavy aluminum foil and put 1 portion of rice on the bottom. Next layer 1 teaspoon of butter, 2 teaspoons of onion soup mix, 1 chicken breast, pepper and salt, 2 teaspoons of butter, 1 teaspoons of milk and top with paprika. Wrap the packet tightly so no liquid leaks out. Make the remaining packets then place all four packets on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake the chicken for 50 minutes at 350 degrees.

Makes four servings.

The packets can be frozen prior to serving. If using frozen packets add ten minutes to the cooking time.
Partially cooked rice
Layered and ready to bake
Right out of the oven

This is a really nice dish to give to others because it is contained and there are no dishes to wash. I also liked how easy it was to put together. I hope you enjoy it as well.

Till tomorrow...

2 comments:

  1. I am making dinner for a family with a new baby next week. The dad is allergic to onions and onion powder - have any ideas for a recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pot pie recipe (the first one on this blog) is one I take to a lot of people. If that doesn't sound good let me know and I will e-mail you a sausage manicotti recipe that is easy to make and delicious.

    ReplyDelete