Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Rice Pudding - or - still trying to use up my leftover rice

Tonight was leftover night, so I decided to make the evening a little more special by making dessert. Since I still had a lot of leftover rice I used it to make rice pudding. I have found most people either love rice pudding or hate it, I think it has something to do with the texture. We fall on the love it side, and every time I make it I think, why don't we have this more often. I hope you try the following recipe and agree.

Rocking Rice Pudding
Yummy Rice Pudding
3 cups of rice (white or brown), cooked
3 cups lowfat milk
2/3 cup of granulated sugar
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 cup of raisins
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon cinnamon, divided

Put the cooked rice, milk, sugar and butter in a medium saucepan, stir to combine. Add the raisins and vanilla extract and stir again.

Cook the mixture for 25 minutes over a low flame until most of the liquid is absorbed. Be sure to stir occasionally and add more milk if the pudding starts to stick to the bottom.

Once the pudding is thick and creamy take it off the heat.  Mix in 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon. Put the pudding in a serving dish and sprinkle the remaining cinnamon on top. You can serve this with whipped cream if you like.

Serves 4-6
Butter, milk, rice and sugar
Bubble bubble toil and trouble
I usually double this recipe because rice pudding goes fast in our house. I am still trying to decide if rice pudding is an acceptable breakfast food.

Till tomorrow...

1 comment: