Thursday, February 3, 2011

Light and Fluffy Waffles

We had breakfast for dinner tonight because I needed something that I could make quickly. I have had this recipe by Marion Cunningham (famous cook/author) on my refrigerator for months and finally decided to try it tonight. I knew I was going to be rushed at dinnertime so I made the batter in the morning, let it sit all day and just had to cook the waffles when I got home from work.

Marion Cunningham's Raised Waffles
Waffles and Bacon 
1/2 cup warm water
1 package (2 1/2 teaspoon) dry yeast (Be sure to use active dry yeast, not instant yeast)
2 cups lowfat milk, warmed for around 30 seconds in the microwave
1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/4 teaspoon baking soda

Pour the water into a large mixing bowl. (Remember to leave room for the batter to rise.) Sprinkle the yeast over the water and let it stand for 5 minutes. Add the milk, melted butter, salt, sugar, and flour and mix until smooth. Cover the bowl with foil and let it stand overnight at room temperature. (Or if you are making the waffles for dinner let your mixture sit out all day until you are ready to cook.)

Preheat your waffle maker. Add the eggs and baking soda and mix well. (The batter will be extremely thin but don't worry it is supposed to be like that.) Grease your waffle maker with nonstick cooking spray if desired then pour some batter into the waffle maker. I can't tell you exactly how much to add because it depends on your waffle maker. I always seem to add a little too much to mine and a bit flows out the sides. Play around with it, remember cooking is supposed to be fun. Cook your waffles until golden and crisp.

Serve immediately with hot maple syrup, yum.

Serves 4 to 6
Waffle batter before rising.
Waffle batter after rising.
Cooking in the pan (can you tell I didn't pour enough batter?)

This was my first time making waffles with yeast and I was amazed at how light and fluffy these were. I was a bit worried at how intense the yeast smell was at first, but after the waffles cooked the smell diminished. Next time I make these I am going to play around with the batter a bit and add blueberries, or maybe some chocolate chips.

Till tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment