Sunday, February 13, 2011

Easy Ice Cream Cake

We celebrated my father-in-laws birthday tonight so I didn't have to cook dinner. I was responsible for making dessert for everyone and decided to make an ice cream cake. I had wanted to make one for awhile and my father-in-law loves ice cream so I thought this would be the perfect occasion to make one for everyone. I told my husband this recipe didn't really feel like cooking; it felt more like assembling food.

Easy Ice Cream Cake
28 Oreo cookies
1 pint strawberry ice cream, softened (or your favorite kind of ice cream)
2 cups thawed Cool Whip, divided
1 pint chocolate ice cream, softened (or your second favorite kind of ice cream)
2 tablespoons chocolate fudge sauce

Line a 9 inch round cake pan with plastic wrap. Put 14 whole cookies around the edge of the pan. Crush the remaining Oreos. (I put them in a ziploc sandwich bag, sealed the bag, and crushed the cookies.) Place the crumbs on the bottom of the pan, reserving 1/2 cup. Put the strawberry ice cream over crumbs; top with 1 cup of the cool whip and remaining crumbs. Top with chocolate ice cream.

Freeze the cake for at least four hours. (I froze it overnight.) Remove from the pan by lifting the plastic wrap. Carefully peel off the plastic wrap. Let the cake stand for 10 minutes. Top with remaining 1 cup whipped topping and drizzle with chocolate sauce.

Makes 14 servings (It doesn't look like it, but the cake is really rich.)
Cookies on the sides/bottom
These were the ice creams I used.
First layer of ice cream.
Second layer of ice cream.
This was a really easy cake to "make" and I love how you can switch the ice creams around for whoever you are making the cake for. I think this would be a great cake for a kids party and this will be the cake I make for my 10 year old son's birthday in a couple of months.

Till tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment