Friday, February 18, 2011

Potato Leek Soup and Cheddar Garlic Biscuits - or - I Love Comfort Food!!

My son requested Potato Leek soup and biscuits for dinner one night this week and I decided tonight was the night. I don't get special requests too often so when I do I try to fulfill them. I have tried quite a few potato leek recipes and finally hit on one I enjoy. This soup takes around an hour to make and also requires pureeing your soup in the blender. (I am always afraid the lid of my blender will blow off and the hot soup will scald me. I know, I am paranoid.) If you have the time and are brave enough to blend hot liquids please try...

Potato Leek Soup

2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
4 large leeks (1 lb) white and light green parts only, cut into 1/4 inch thick slices
2 pounds russet potatoes (about 4 medium) peeled and cubed
5 cups low sodium chicken broth
3/4 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
4 oz cream cheese, cubed
1/2 cup milk
6 slices bacon cooked and crumbled

Heat the oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add the leeks and cook for 5 minutes or until the leeks are tender and just starting to get brown, stirring occasionally. Add the potatoes, chicken broth, salt and pepper, and cover. Bring to a boil, then simmer on medium-low heat (still covered) for 15-20 minutes or until the potatoes are fork tender. Take off the heat and cool for 10 minutes.

Blend the leek mixture in batches in the blender until smooth. Be sure not to fill the blender past half way and hold the lid down tight (remember paranoia, scalding, burning faces). Add the cream cheese to the last batch and blend until the cream cheese is melted.

Put the blended soup back in the pan, add the milk and cook 2 to 3 minutes or until heated through. Top the soup with bacon and serve.

Serves 8
Leeks cooking in oil.
Blended soup.

Cheddar Garlic Biscuits

2 cups bisquick
1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
3 tablespoons cold butter, cut into small pieces
1 cup buttermilk

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.

Combine the Bisquick, garlic powder, cheddar cheese, butter and buttermilk. Stir just until your ingredients are combined. If you over mix your biscuits they will be tough. 

Drop by heaping spoonfuls onto an ungreased rimmed baking sheet.

Bake 10-12 minutes or until biscuits are golden brown

Makes 9 biscuits
Biscuit batter.
Ready to bake.

We left the table with full bellies and smiles on our faces. I will be sad when the weather heats up and soup season is over. (My family refuses to eat soup on hot days.) Maybe I will search out recipes for cold soups???

Till tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment