Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Best Tomato Cream Sauce EVER!

I cannot say enough good things about the recipe I tried tonight. I got this from the Pioneer Woman website (thepioneerwoman.com) and all I can say is...WOW!!! I liked this recipe because it was delicious. Also after you chop up the onions and garlic it is really easy to cook. It was easy enough that I was able to help my 9 year old review for his science test tomorrow while making this meal. This rarely happens.

Pasta with Tomato Cream Sauce
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1/2 onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/4 teaspoon sugar
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
3/4 pound angel hair pasta (I used multi-grain since I am slowly trying to wean my family away from white pasta)

Cook the pasta in salted boiling water according to the package directions. Drain, reserving 1 cup of the pasta water.

In a medium sauce pan heat the butter and oil over low heat. Add the chopped onions and cook for 10 minutes or until golden brown. Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute. Pour in the tomato sauce and add salt, pepper and sugar to taste. Stir and cook over low heat for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. (you can help your kids with their homework at this point) Remove from heat and stir in cream.

Add the Parmesan cheese then check seasonings. Stir in the pasta and chopped basil and serve immediately. (Thin the sauce with pasta water before adding the basil if needed, I added about 1/4 cup of the pasta water to my sauce)

Serves 4
Immediately after adding the tomato sauce to the pan.
Cooking the pasta.
The sauce after 25 minutes of cooking.
My husband and I had a salad with our pasta and our kids had a handful of grapes. I will be making this again in the near future. There are a lot of variations I would like to try with this recipe. I could add vegetables, meatballs, pancetta, etc. The possibilities are endless.

Till tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment