Thursday, February 10, 2011

Almond Bars or disappointing dinner saved by a delicious dessert

Tonight was one of those nights where nothing seemed to go right. The dinner I had been planning (and chopped 4 pounds of onions for last night) ended up being disappointing. I tried to make French onion soup (only the second time I have ever tried it) and was not happy with the results. The soup was missing something, I just couldn't figure out what. The onions were not soft enough, even after cooking for 10 hours, we all ate it but I wouldn't ever share the recipe. I think maybe I will save French onion soup for when my husband takes me out to dinner.  So instead of writing about our mediocre dinner I will write about the snack I made for my MOPS group tomorrow. About a year ago my family and I were invited to one of our associate pastors homes for dinner. His wonderful wife made us a great meal and for dessert served us almond bars. I had never tried them before but instantly loved them and asked for the recipe. These have been a family favorite since then, I make them when I need something delicious but don't have the time or money to go to the store. I hope you enjoy them as much as I do.  

Almond Bars
4 large eggs
2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup unsalted butter, melted
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 1/2 teaspoons almond extract (I use imitation because my daughter is allergic to nuts)
Powdered sugar

In a large bowl mix the eggs and sugar until well blended. Add the butter and almond extract. Slowly stir in the flour and mix thoroughly. Pour into a greased 9 x 13 inch pan. Bake at 325 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving.
Yield: 2 dozen
Melted butter
Eggs and sugar
The batter about to be poured into the baking pan.

That is it, how easy can you get? One reason I like this recipe is that it calls for melted butter. When a recipe calls for softened butter I usually forget to take out my butter and have to try to soften it in the microwave without melting it, with this recipe I don't have to plan ahead. I hope dinner tomorrow goes a little smoother. I would like to thank Vera Christian for sharing this recipe with me.

Till tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment