Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Chicken Drumsticks with Garlic and Herbs or Drumsticks on sale for 87 cents a pound...SCORE!

The grocery store I shop at every week had drumsticks on sale for 87 cents a pound on Super Bowl Sunday. (This is a great deal. I usually buy them for 99 cents a pound.) Since we have a full size freezer, we buy meat in bulk when it is cheap and freeze it. If the power ever went out at our house for an extended amount of time we would be out hundreds of dollars of meat. (Yikes!) 

Having this much meat on hand makes cooking dinner easier and more affordable, but it also means I have to plan my meals ahead of time. My family often laughs at me because while we are sitting enjoying our dinner I am already thinking ahead to what we are going to be eating the next day. Now that we have a lot of drumsticks, in the freezer, I have to come up with appetizing ways to serve them and I think I hit the mark with this recipe. It is pretty basic, but it is good and fast.

Chicken Drumsticks with Garlic and Herbs
It tastes better than it looks, I promise.

8 chicken drumsticks (We have a family of four so I make two per person, adjust up or down to suit your family)
4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, minced
1 tablespoon dried oregano (use fresh if you have it, I didn't)
2 tablespoons minced garlic
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.

Rub salt, pepper, oregano, rosemary, lemon juice and olive oil on the drumsticks to coat. If you have time let the marinade sit on the chicken for a few hours. If you don't have time, a quick dunk will do. Place the drumsticks on a foil lined baking sheet (for easier clean up) without crowding the drumsticks.

Bake the chicken without turning, until golden brown and cooked through, about 25 minutes. Check the drumsticks at 25 minutes because smaller ones will cook quickly.

Serves 4
Marinade
Before putting in the oven.

Serve with vegetables, some wild rice and enjoy.

Till tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment