Sunday, March 6, 2011

Blueberry-Cornmeal Pancakes or Breakfast for Dinner

We had a late night last night so I wasn't able to write about what we had for dinner. I wanted to share the recipe we made because we liked it. I found a recipe for Blueberry-Cornmeal Pancakes in Bon Appetit magazine and the combination of blueberries and cornmeal intrigued me. My kids LOVE pancakes so I knew this would be a hit with them.

Blueberry-Cornmeal Pancakes
Ugly but tasty blueberry-cornmeal pancakes.

1 1/2 cups fine-grind cornmeal
3/4 cup wheat flour
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
2 cups buttermilk
2 large eggs
1/4 cup canola oil
Melted butter
1 cup fresh blueberries
Warm pure maple syrup

Whisk the first 6 ingredients in a large bowl. Whisk the buttermilk, eggs, and oil in a medium bowl; add to dry ingredients and whisk to blend. Let stand 20 minutes.

Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Place a baking sheet in the oven. Preheat the griddle over medium heat; brush with melted butter. Working in batches, spoon 1/2 cup batter onto griddle for each pancake. Sprinkle each with 2 tablespoons berries. Cook until golden brown and just cooked through; about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to sheet in oven to keep warm. Serve with syrup.

Serves 4 to 6
Dry ingredients.
Wet ingredients.
Pancakes cooking on the griddle.

These pancakes tasted delicious, but they wouldn't hold their shape in the pan. As soon as I would flip them over they would break into small pieces. I have made a lot of pancakes and have never had that trouble before. I think the batter was too thin, next time I will up the amount of flour to 1 or 1 1/4 cups and see if they stay together better. We had fruit and sausages with our pancakes and there were smiles all around.

Till tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment